Thursday 2 September 2010

Soul for Sale

Things are getting serious. Not that I didn’t expect them to. But it’s my books. “Books” says Lord Peter Wimsey, “Are like lobster shells, we surround ourselves with 'em, then we grow out of 'em and leave 'em behind, as evidence of our earlier stages of development.”

The more books a person surrounds themselves with, of course, the more detailed fossil record of their earlier stages of development is. It was a strangely forensic process. I identified approximately 130 books which could easily be sold online and about the same number which will more than likely have to go to a charity shop as I’d make a loss selling and posting them.

I have promised myself that I will try and retain all my German books, all my Terry Pratchett 1st editions, the majority of my cookbooks, and anything which was antique or irreplaceable. Apart from that, nothing is sacred any more. I’ve sold Harry Potter CDs, Patrick O’ Brien books and sword-and-sourcery novels. I’ve sold history books from The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle to D-Day. I’ve sold V for Vendetta, Phonetics and Phonology and Dead until Dark.

Let me know if there’s anything you want that I might have. I have a massive amount of cookery books which I doubt I’ll be able to take 100% of, a large range of military history books, most of the Lord Peter Wimsey books and a disgusting amount of trashy spy fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is appreciated!